Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolutions

Did you make any New Year's resolutions?

Well, one of my resolutions was to start this blog. Check.
The second was to post something everyday at least one short paragraph. Screwed the pooch on that! LOL I missed yesterday. I'm sure I didn't cause any mass riots out there because they missed my blog...hmm.

So, resolutions...

They say most people make them and don't continue doing them beyond January. Heck! Some don't make it past the 3rd day...uh hum. I'm sure the most common resolutions are; I'm going to stop smoking, stop gambling, stop drinking sodas, stop eating sugar, stop eating bread, stop being lazy.
While these are all good ideas the word "stop" in front of them when someone speaks sure sounds negative. Doesn't it?

I've watched, listened and even made resolutions in the past the same way. I'm going to "stop" this and "quit" that. "Quit" is probably even more of a negative. For those of us who are born determined to win "quitting" is not something our souls do very well.

You know that old adage, sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me....?

Not true.

Words can be very powerful. The United States Constitution is a great example. How many lives are effected by those words? The Bible, the Bill of Rights, the Ten Commandments just for a few more huge accumulations of some little old words.

We choose to believe in certain words verbal and written. I believe it's because we need to belong to something bigger than just ourselves so we are grounded and won't float off into the air full of ourselves so to speak. In many cases it's because we want direction or have goals of which we find a common denominator in words with others and it reconfirms our beliefs. Of course, there are also the words of law which most would agree are needed so we may maintain a certain sense of life without chaos or riot....hmm.

Then there are also words we hear or read which we are truly effected by but, have no choice on how they initially impact us when we first hear or read them.You do not have a choice on the initial impact on your heart and soul or the feeling you have when you hear it or say it. Not the initial reaction. These words must be directed to you to effect you but, it proves words have power and can hurt or heal even.
Here are a few:
"No"
"You are ugly"
"You are dumb"
"I hate you"
"Stupid"
"Cancer"

You can choose to disregard or even not to react to the initial impact and feeling but none the less you felt it.

Negative begets negative. These words although may be necessary in some small conditions but, they do nothing but make one feel bad initially.

I wrote today's post in two parts. First part I began writing earlier this morning. I was short for time and I decided to pause and return to it when I got back home.

When I was in the waiting room today I took the first seat that looked unclaimed and had some space around it. We all need a little space every now and then. Beside me was a little table and on it was this small tiny pocket book. It caught my eye and I began to read it. I was in a little rush with things so I wasn't able to read it all right then so I brought it home with me. The title of the book if you can call it that is "Total Release Performance" by Wes Neal.

For the record I do not read books. I have never taken to the idea of spending time reading when I could be out doing something physical. My limitations on the subject are school and the occasional article in a magazine that caught my eye in the grocer line. I have definitely never read the Bible. I don't have the patience yet. Sometimes on flights I give in and read the two magazines. You know the two always stuffed in the seat pocket in front of you no matter what plane you are on. You know, the one describing either where you just came from or where you are going and, the other one with all those gadgets and gizmo's you are convinced you need when you finish reading it.

So I read this little book. In the beginning it is mostly about athletes thoughts and performance. It claims to be able to raise your level of success and performance if you read and implement the words. As I read on it began to coincide with this post I started writing this morning before I could have ever imagined I would see this little book. I don't want to ruin this little gem for anyone therefor I will share just a tiny bit.
It basis the premise of true winners want to win all the time even when their opponent is probably going to defeat them. They don't quit! It goes on to reference some scripture of the Bible. "And whatever you do in the word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father" (Colossians 3:17).

"And whatever you do in the word ...". Eureka! ..hmm.

Here are my favorite words.
" I love you".
I think these are the most powerful little three words in all the world. We all yearn for them. Most importantly is when the right person says them or leaves them in a letter to you those three little words are so very wonderful.

So, resolutions....

My third resolution is to make sure every person I love knows it.

"All you need is love" Written by John Lennon and credited to Lennon / McCartney.

I hope I don't quit....hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment